Wednesday, June 8, 2011

'Way down yonder on the Chattahoochee...'

Taken Spring of 2008
Taken Summer of 2009

Tim and I have started our 5th (yes, that's right- 5th) summer here at the Chattahoochee Valley Church of Christ. When I think back to the first time I heard of Columbus, GA I thought, "What? Where is that!?!" It really is 'way down yonder' in the DEEP SOUTH. I remember saying to Tim, "Now, when you graduate we can move anywhere BUT the South." I had just spent the last 6 years in Searcy, AR and I really didn't care to stay nor live anywhere like it. Thankfully, God had a different idea.

I have fallen in-love with Columbus, GA all thanks to our wonderful church family. They truly are a family. Tim and I have many friends who are fellow ministers. We have heard the horrible stories of ministers only staying 6 months and leaving churches. Well not us... God gave us a place to call home. (Yes, I am bragging... but not on myself – just on our church.)

It's amazing to think of all the changes that have happened since we came. Our 1st graduating class of Seniors are now 22 years old and our first group of 7th graders are beginning their Junior year! We have had countless lock-ins (One summer we had 6!! That’s too many if you ask Tim.), we have gone to Impact summer camp, taken a mystery trip to Destin, FL, gone to Six Flags over Georgia, Driven to Nashville for mission trips, been to Winterfest in Gatlinburg, had Movie Nights, Prayer Meetings, Monday Night Fellowships, Survivor Camps, Graduations, Service Days at Open Door, and so much more. It has been a whirlwind.

During this time Tim and I bought a house (the one pictured above), had a baby boy, and started my business- Randolph Imaging. I LOVE sweet tea. In fact, I have had to cut back. I frequently eat fried pickles and Country's BBQ, as well as squash and butter beans. On occasion I even speak with a southern accent, and I don't bother to correct myself anymore.

The Chattahoochee Valley Church has been a blessing. It brings tears to my eyes to think of the first time we brought Lewis to Sunday morning service. Tim grabbed Lewis and walked into the auditorium with his head held high, happy to introduce his son to the CV family. This was a wonderful feeling, because Lewis was already loved. They loved him before he was born just as a real family would.

One more thing to add which I cannot leave out: Buddy and Maurine Jones. Buddy, the pulpit minister, and Maurine have been in ministry over 30 years and have become more than mentors. They are our close friends. We have shared many hard times together as well as many joyous ones too. There have been many times God has used them to speak to us and to help us through the issues young 20 something’s don't know how to handle. Whether Maurine knows it or not I think of her as an adopted grandma for Lewis. She has been there for me when Lewis wouldn't sleep and cried and cried and cried! When I have a question she's one of the first people I think to call. She's always there to tell me I'm doing a good job raising Lewis. Buddy and Maurine have 4 married children; some with children of their own. Tim and I like to pretend we are a part of the Jones' family too. - Thank you Buddy and Maurine!

5 comments:

David and Eryn said...

You guys are totally grafted into the Jones Family Tree

The Four of Us said...

Oh, thanks Eryn!

melanie said...

what a precious post! It is a wonderful church! I am w Eryn, you are SO in. :) (that was so sweet what you said about B and M...they are the best!)

Heather said...

Sweet post. I love Buddy and Maurine too!

Buddy and Maurine said...

Oh, Sara, you are too kind. Like Eryn said, you and Tim and Lewis are in!! We love you so much.