Friday, September 5, 2014

Oshkosh Bound

As you all know, we've made it to Oshkosh. Life is slowing down and we are establishing new routines. I'm so happy to be able to announce this. In fact, I've been looking forward to this day since April. To give you a recap of the last few months I have a collection of pictures, most of them are poor quality, but bare with me.


The worst part of leaving Georgia was saying Good-bye.
Our last Sunday morning I told Heather that I hoped I would feel something. I was hoping to let a little emotion come out and not continue to feel the numbness I had felt the week prior. I had been too wrapped up in the details of packing that I lacked the ability to be present in the moment and reflect on the past memories with those nearest to me. 
The last time I walked into the teen room the kids were singing, I couldn't bare look at anyone's faces, because I felt the flood gates opening and my heart breaking. I lost it! For hours I cried and cried as though I hadn't cried in years. It was ridiculous and embarrassing. Therefore, I received what I asked for plus a little more... 'feelings'.

The week prior to packing up the truck John Kelly and Hite, old youth group members, came to help us fix our old house. They repaired the loose floor board, hung blinds, moved heavy boxes and cut down some over grown vines.

Afterwards we ate lunch at Chick-fil-a and said more good-byes. 


Pictured here was our last playdate with the Jiles, to Cooper Creek to feed the ducks, which were a little terrifying. Thankfully, we didn't stay too long and headed out to Burger King for lunch.



The picture above was taken at our last Wednesday night meal with the teens and families, a CVC tradition. I managed to get a video of everyone present to show Lewis the next time he asks about his friends 'back home'.

Then came moving day. We had a lot of help. Plus, donuts, pizza and thanks to Cassie an ample supply of Sonic water. The water was great, but the donuts didn't mix too well with moving heavy boxes into a sauna and 99 degree weather with 100 percent humidity. Many of us were begging for some Pepto before too long.

I really underestimated how much we had. I thought a 22' truck would be sufficient enough for our small home. I was wrong. At some point Brad kindly told me we couldn't stay at our house for another two days as planned, they needed to get the beds and everything on the truck now or it may not fit later. I'm thankful the Lord equipped me to go with the flow. I quickly took the sheets off our bed, packed our toiletries and clothes and let them load it up on the truck.



We were near the end and when the monsoon came. I wish it could have held off for another hour, but we made the best of it. Pictured above is John Kelly and I trying our best to get it finished. 




As I said before, Brad kicked us out of our home. Thankfully, he opened his home to us. This was actually the best part of moving! We had a blast. The kids played well together, Heather and I helped each other with the meals. We saw the girls off to school in the morning and watch them get off the school bus in the afternoon. We stayed up late and hung out. We were seven peas in a pod.


The last night in Columbus, we stayed with Buddy and Maurine, in hopes to spend more time together before we left. Unfortunately, we still had so much to do and good-byes to be said I'm not sure we had the quality time we were all hoping for. Although, we had a sweet morning with them and we felt their love and friendship. 



Tuesday morning, August 12th, we shipped out. I spent an hour the night before at Wal-Mart getting snacks and toys for the trip. I was trying to avoid the dreaded gas station stops where Lewis begs for every candy bar he sees. I could not allow for sugar overload. 


I was prepped to the max. We had two DVD players, organizers for each kid and I had even bought a new car seat for Jude to make his ride more cozy. 



Tim didn't have the kids, but he had this beast. We caravanned until we reached Louisville, KY. Well, we sort of caravanned. Tim could only drive 65 mph in this thing, while I was NOT going to drive that slow. I knew we would need more bathroom breaks so I drove a little faster and we managed to meet up for lunch and dinner. 

The boys and I stopped in Indianapolis, IN after 13 hours. I was beyond exhausted. The last few hours were hard, but I kept imaging the king size bed awaiting me at the hotel. It was tricky though. I had both boys asleep and only two hands to get everything into the room without extra trips. Unfortunately, in this day and time if I leave the boys in the room and go to the car to get stuff I can expect a visit from DHS. I managed to grab a luggage cart and lay Lewis on top of the bags while I carried Jude and wheeled him up to our room. It was sort of a fiasco and I had some strange looks, but I did the best thing I could do.

 Tim didn't get to his parents house in Ohio until midnight! He spent 16 hours driving. As he was pulling the truck into the driveway he got it stuck in the enormous ditch outside the house. After calling the 24 hour roadside assistance for a tow he made it to bed around 3:00 am. 

The next day Tim and his Dad unloaded our storage items. After a few hours of unloading and one more call to roadside assistance they were able to relax. 

I on the other hand was dealing with the wrath of Jude. He does does not like sleeping in the car. 








Eventually he fell asleep. Poor guy. 


After a good night of sleep for everyone we made use of the hotel pool. We were in no hurry so it was fun to let the boys play. 



The next days drive was beautiful. I love the mid-west, the corn fields, open skies and crisp air!



We even spotted the Big Ten bus.


With only 3 hours to go. Outside of Chicago we stopped at one of the six bridge-restaurants over I-88. Unique to Chicago, Oasis' include gas stations, several restaurants, nice bathrooms, and room for the kids to run and watch the cars go by.

Once we made it to Oshkosh, I finally felt like I could breath. We bombarded our friend Deb. She lives in the country and has a very child friendly home. The boys and I spent two full days and three nights just learning to breath again. It was very healing. I was completely exhausted from the good-byes, moving and details I hadn't had time to process much. I needed time and I received it.

We played around in the grass, laid in the hammock, walked among the 'dancing trees' and listened to the fields of grass blow in the wind. In fact, I might call it a vacation.





After a few days of recovery I was ready to tackle the beast once more. Around 15 people from Oakhaven showed up to help us move! The weather was perfect, 65 degrees and a crisp breeze. Within two hours the men had the truck unloaded, the bunk bed, crib and master bed set up, sheets on the beds and all of our clothes put away. By 3:00 pm our kitchen and living room was unpacked along with my linens and a few curtains hung. It was amazing! 


The last few weeks I have spent my days with purpose. The snow is coming. As you walk down the grocery isle you hear people talk about it, preparing for it and almost dreading it. There isn't much summer left. I've already spotted some leaves changing and there are many things I want to see and still do. 

Lewis started school at Valley Christian 5 days a week from 8:15-12:15. He is thriving! Lewis needs routine and school supplies it. His teachers have told me on more than one occasion that Lewis keeps them on schedule and on task. He won't let them skip a single step. This he did NOT get from me. While I try to give him a routine I am just not hard-wired this way. I'm glad his teachers can fill this void for him.

In the afternoons we get out and do some exploring. If you didn't know this before, Oshkosh is on a big lake. Not one of the Great Lakes, but a big one, Lake Winnebago, covering an area of about 30 by 10 miles. The city of Oshkosh makes use of the water and give its residents many recreational things to do. We've been paddle boating, fishing, to the beach, etc. One of these days I want to get a little sail boat out on it and soak up some sun after a long winter.






One of my favorite parks in town in Menominee. They have a free zoo, beach and playground. We have already been 4-5 times. 





In Appleton, 20 minutes away, they have much more for the kids to do. The picture below is at Funset Boulevard. 




On Saturday's Oshkosh has a huge farmers market.



Before public school started we managed to get several families from church together for a playdate. Yet again, it was perfect weather.






Tim and I are so happy. We miss our friends in Columbus, but we are having fun on our adventure. Most of all we are doing God's work and building relationships.



No comments: