Friday, January 20, 2012

A Full 24 Hours

A nice hotel for off-duty Moms.


For TWELVE months I nursed Lewis. This was not my goal when we first began. Actually to be honest, before Lewis came along the idea of nursing repulsed me! (To put it nicely.) Although, I had a very strong desire to nurse Lewis. I had several reasons for this:
1. It's the most affordable.
2. It is a great weight loss plan.
3. Most importantly, it's best for the baby.

I really didn't know what it would be like to nurse. My whole pregnancy I tried to think about it as little as possible. Although, I did attend one class at our hospital. The class was worse than 5th grade Sex Ed. I squirmed in my seat so much my neighbor probably thought I had a rash. No rash... just so uncomfortable I wanted to leave.

As the months moved along and Lewis finally made it into the world nursing became the most natural feeling. I'm not saying it was easy. No, it wasn't. I spent many hours crying and frustrated and needed a lot of help. Yes, it was a natural feeling, but there is nothing easy about nursing.

The first 4 months he nursed every 2 hours. It was rough.... the nights were almost impossible. This is also the time I refer to myself as the 'comma momma'. I barely remember these months as they were such a blur filled with nursing, sleep, nursing, sleep, etc.

Months 5-8 were a breeze... Lewis would nurse anywhere no matter what I was doing. I even nursed Lewis while sightseeing around Savannah. As I walked into a gift shop with Lewis under the 'hooter-hider' a sweet innocent man said, "Oh, is he sleeping... sweet boy.... Can I see his face?" This was funny to see his expression when I explained he was nursing and wouldn't be ready for a few more minutes.

Then we hit months 9-10! Ugh. These were some of the most trying and difficult times of nursing. Lewis bit me a lot! One Sunday he even bit me three times! Yes, to answer your question... I did as my lactation consultant suggested and very firmly pulled him away, hit his mouth and said, "NO, NO BITING!" It eventually worked. We endured through two months of this.

My saving grace and what carried us through those difficult times... One day I would take 24 hours off! So we continued to nurse and around 11 months we were still at 4-5 feedings a day and I started SLOWLY weening him. At 12 months and 2 weeks old Lewis had his last feeding. He was finished. It was obvious and so was I. As the end drew near I spent time reflecting on our bond and I was thankful, but ready to be done. With the hopes of another baby soon I needed a break.

Now I was free to take my 24 hours off. No nursing, no pumping, no cries to soothe or diapers to change. I ate dinner with the fam and checked myself into a hotel! It was blissful sprawling out on the bed, watching TV, surfing the web, painting my nails. I slept in till 9:30 the next day. I was in no rush with a noon check-out. I eventually made my way to Panera for some coffee and a bagel, then a hair appointment and lunch with a friend. I stayed out till after my dinner with more friends, April and Heather.

Yes, my time off was amazing and well deserved, but I realized a few things. Tim and Lewis make me a better person. Being a Mom and wife are the greatest blessings God has given me. When I am without these two men I feel like I just walked into a room without my clothes on. I feel naked, maybe it was my lack of sippy cup, diaper bag, wipes, change of clothes, snacks, and a 23lb. baby on my arm. No, I think it's because they bring about the best sides of me. Yes, I am very scattered and absent minded when running errands with Lewis, but without him I don't have as many conversations with strangers. I also don't smile as much and feel too independent. Having Tim around keeps me soft and sweeter. I tend to be less domineering and strong willed, if you can imagine.

All in all it was a great 24 hours. I am so thankful to a great husband who cared for our sweet boy while I was away.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that last paragraph - what a blessing! :-)

bev said...

God bless you for your determination, and honesty. I'm with Sarah- last paragraph is beautiful.