Pacifier or Thumb, Pacifier or Thumb, which do you choose?
| Lewis and his pacifier |
Tim and I were both thumb suckers as children and we know how hard it was for our parents to break of us this habit. We did not want to go down the same road with Lewis at the age of 4 or 5 or 6 or whenever. We knew one day we could throw the paci away and it would be gone for good. Therefore, we pushed the pacifier from week two with Lewis.
Thankfully, Lewis was not the baby who wanted the pacifier at all times. He could take it or leave it as long as he wasn't trying to sleep. Until he hit 13 months old, around this time he wanted it all day and night. I really didn't like for him to use it so much; although, I allowed it, because I didn't want to throw it away yet.
Well, I decided last week that I was done. I started to notice the pacifier getting in the way of his speech and this concerned me. Therefore, Tim and I made a plan to throw it away after Winterfest. We did it. We threw our safety net into the trash.
I'm not sure it was the best night to make this huge transition nor am I sure I did it the best way possible. The night started off well with a great meal planned: Southern Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Carrots and Gravy. Then as I was warming up the Crisco a cloud of smoke began to build in my kitchen. Before I knew it Tim is saying, "Sara, are you sure you are doing this right?" A little frustrated that he dare ask that question I respond, "Yes Tim!" Then as the smoke continues to produce more and more he starts coughing and says, "Sara, this can't be right! It smells burnt. (cough cough) Uh... I don't think it's safe for Lewis to be in here anymore!" He starts to drag Lewis out of the kitchen as he's hacking up a lung. I proceed as my Crisco is now at the 'perfect' temp. of 365 degrees. I put in the chicken and this is when things start to get really bad. By now, Tim has opened all the windows and even the front and back doors. He finally convinces me that this cannot be right. So I start yelling for him to just keep Lewis occupied and I will try to stop a grease fire from happening.
| Smoky Kitchen |
| Curious George occupying Lewis as he ate his dinner in the foyer. |
| What was left of my burnt chicken. |
I ended up realizing I am no Paula Deane and had Tim run to KFC. As Tim was getting the chicken it was past Lewis' bedtime so I told Lewis to throw his pacifier into the trash. Which turned into me grabbing it from his hands and throwing into the trash as I said "Bye Bye." Not the best idea I've had, because Lewis started crying immediately. Then I tried to calm him down and read several books as we rocked in his chair. Lewis sniffled as I read and clung to George, his 'lovey.' He cried himself to sleep which took around 15 minutes. Thankfully, he stayed asleep all night.
Today, my plan was to keep him as busy as possible... we did Strong Stroller Moms workout in the morning, then lunch and a nap, then a good playdate with friend Cade Thomas.
Like I said before I'm not sure I went about it in the best way possible, but it seemed to have worked. We are paci free and Lewis has had a great day! There have been no meltdowns nor tantrums today. Instead the day was full of kisses and lots of talking (babbling) now there is no pacifier to get in the way anymore.
My biggest regret... not knowing how to make fried chicken!

3 comments:
Notice the monkey dead in the kitchen...smoke inhalation is no joke.
I'm VERY proud of you for getting rid of his pacifier. There is no perfect way to do it so don't beat yourself up about it. :) I'm just glad that it's gone and he can talk without it getting in his way! You get an A+ in speech therapy 101!
This is Casey by the way.
Post a Comment