Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Our trip without the Daddy's... Savannah, GA.

Tim and Brad took our teens to Nashville for our annual Inner City Mission Trip. Therefore, Heather and I went to visit her parents, PaBoo and Softa (spelling?), in Savannah. We had such a great time and it was very helpful to have her parents around to give us a night off with free babysitting!

The first night we walked on the pier.  We found some fishers using these crabs as bait. They were sweet enough to let our kids have a look.

Lewis was very interested in these and felt free to pick one up just like the fisherman.

A random plop down in the middle of the pier. 
Don't worry I'm holding on to Lewis tightly.

Ada and PaBoo
Vivi and Heather



Such a sweet PaBoo
The next day we headed out early to downtown Savannah. Since I had already done a bus tour last summer we skipped most of the 'squares', historic homes, and museums. Instead, we made our way to River Street. Last summer I couldn't go, because I never found the hidden elevator and I didn't want to brave the stairs with a 6 mo. and a stroller. Thanks to my best friend, a native Savannahian, she was able to show me the way.

This stroller was perfect for this outing! There is no way an umbrella stroller would cut it.

Johnson Square, the first of the 24 squares and was built in 1733. Beautiful, huh?!? If I am not mistaken Forrest Gump was filmed in this square.

I only regret not taking more pictures of squares and mossy oaks.


On River Street, we let the kids have a look at the docked tourist boat.

While we were looking at the little tourist boat this large freighter sailed by. Lewis said one word, "Wow!"

River Street is paved with cobblestones, very bumpy! I cannot imagine walking on these with high heals, ouch.

Heather and the girls walking on the safer sidewalks.

River Street is lined with food and candy. We, of course, had to stop in!

Savannah is known for their pralines.

And their sweet water taffy. 

Lewis enjoyed a white chocolate covered pretzel with sprinkles.

More delicious dessert items, hungry yet?

Making the pralines.


Lewis also enjoyed a sucker or two.


This picture does NOT do these stairs justice. They are steep, steep stairs and these are the best I found. Most stairs down to River Street are wide enough for one skinny person.
A tour guide taking a break with her iPhone. 

We took a break from the strollers and let the kids play for a bit.

Lewis kept getting in the flowers, he would not listen to Mama.

He can be stubborn, but he's always willing to pose for the camera.

Two tired and sweaty kids.
 After our tour down River Street we took the kids to the fountain to cool off.

Lewis was very timid around the jets of water. He stayed to the side most of the time.
Ada and Vivi in a rare moment of stillness. 
This was a great trip. I gained 5lbs. and enjoyed every bite. 

Thanks to Softa and PaBoo, Mitch and Sharon, for welcoming us into their home and treating Lewis as one of their own! We are blessed to know them and call them friends. 




No comments: