If only babies were delivered by storks...
During your pregnancy you spend 9 months wondering, "What will my delivery be like?" You approach the time with excitement and nervousness. Many friends and strangers told me their birth story and gave me lots of advice, but since every delivery is different I really didn't know what to expect going into it.
It all started Sunday night after our church Christmas party. I went home that night feeling very nauseauted. I didn't think much of it and went to bed early. The next day I woke up still feeling sick to my stomach. I tried eating a little that day, but by 6pm I was feeling much worse. For some reason I still went with Tim to meet our friends, the Jiles, at Zaxby's. (bad idea) On the way home I leaned over to Tim and told him, "If you can get me home in 8 minutes I won't throw up in your car." Thankfully, we made it home just in time. By 7:30pm the contractions began. I stayed up till 1am with many visits to the restroom and painful contractions. The
frustrating thing was- the contractions never timed correctly. The contractions would be 2 mins apart then 3 mins then 9 mins then 5 mins then 7 mins and so on. Therefore, we decided to stay at home and go to my OBGYN's office first thing the next morning. That night was one of the worst I've had. I was extremely dehydrated, but I couldn't keep anything down. By 4am the contractions became extremely painful and the back labor began. Even though the contractions still weren't timing correctly I knew the baby was coming.
Finally 8 am arrived and I was feeling very anxious to leave for the doctors office. Well that night was the coldest night of the year with the temps in the teens... and our pipes froze! Not good when you are still throwing up. Lets just say we left the house very frustrated.
We made the drive to Opelika (35mins away) to the OBGYN. Once we arrived they put in an IV and gave me a bag of waters. Soon the doctor came in and checked my cervix- I was 4 centimeters dilated and 80% effaced. My contractions still weren't timing correctly, but I was in labor. She stripped my membranes and sent me to the hospital. I couldn't believe it! I was so excited.
We were admitted around 10am. We got settled into our room, which was really nice and big. Tim and I decided to keep the news to ourselves at first. I didn't want any visitors while trying to focus. It was nice- just Tim and I.
I labored till 5pm without drugs and I received the epidural. My only regret was I didn't get it sooner! Tim and I were pretty miserable before the drugs and it was utterly peaceful once they kicked in. I was 7 centimeters dilated at this point.
Within the hour they broke my water. By 10:45pm it was time to start pushing! This was such a relief! I was so ready to finally meet our little boy. Tim was wonderful- he helped me push and talked me through it for 45 mins. We even watched it for awhile through a mirror- amazing! Now, I didn't watch the end part... I didn't want to see the tearing nor cutting. (ouch)
11:34pm Lewis Gregory Randolph was born! He weighed 9lbs. 10oz. and was 21 inches long! (big boy) It was such a miracle. I couldn't believe it, completely amazed at God's creation. They handed me Lewis and I put him on my chest! Tears welled up in my eyes.
(Tim cutting the cord!)
(Lewis under the warmer)
It was wonderful. We stayed at the hospital till Thursday night when we were discharged.
Since then life has been a blur. Tim and I asked my parents to wait till Christmas (1.5 weeks after lewis was born) to come visit. This was such a good idea! Now don't misunderstand me, we love my parents and were super happy for them to finally arrive. (I cried when they left.) We knew once we brought Lewis home there would be a lot of adjusting and we wanted to have time to make those adjustments.
It's been 2.5 weeks and we are doing well. Lewis is now 22 inches long and 10lbs. 2oz. He is growing so fast!

3 comments:
Aw, Sara! I am so excited for you, Tim, and baby Lewis! He's perfect! We can't wait to meet him. Praying for your sweet family of 3.
Congrats, he is beautiful!!
Glad you three are doing well! He is SO cute!!
Post a Comment